Wednesday, November 2, 2011

TEXAS QUILT MUSEUM NEEDS SMALL ART QUILTS

Karey Bresenhan of Quilts, Inc. has been an incredible friend to SAQA.  Karey has a request:

"As a former SAQA Board member, I love art quilts and love to promote them whenever possible, especially at my International Quilt Festivals (Houston, Long Beach, Cincinnati).  I've come up with another way to introduce people to the beauty of art quilts, and I hope you will be able to help me on this.

For more than a year, I have focused almost entirely on creating the new Texas Quilt Museum in La Grange, Texas (about 100 miles from Houston).  It is going to be fabulous--two 1893 handmade brick buildings containing three high ceilinged galleries with a terrific quilt mural on the exterior and a Grandmother's Flower Garden on adjacent property.  La Grange is a small Central Texas town that is almost equi-distant from Houston, Austin and San Antonio, so it is in a perfect crossroads position.  We are opening officially on Sunday, November 13, but we have private tours and events scheduled at the Museum pre-opening, beginning October 20.  The Museum is a 501(c)3 non-profit institution that will focus on exhibitions, rather than collecting, due to limited space."

"We have a small Museum Store and as a former quilt shop owner, it is falling to me to stock this store.. with the most limited budget imaginable!  So I thought I would turn to SAQA artists for help.  I read all the time how quilt artists don't know what to do with all their quilts... perhaps you would consider donating one or more to the Texas Quilt Museum that we could sell in our Museum Store?"

"I'm looking for small art quilts that we can sell for between $100 and $200.  I realize that is very low for many of you, and I certainly acknowledge that they would be worth much more than that.  But that's about the outside limit of the market here.  Because we are a museum, quality is important. as you might imagine.  But although I am a dreamer, I'm not unrealistic... I know we are not likely to get top award winners donated to sell. (Then again, wouldn't that be wonderful!)  But I also know how talented and how prolific many of you are.  Today I'm hoping you also have a strong philanthropic streak and will want to help us get this new quilt museum off to an outstanding start.  By donating a small quilt or two, you will be helping us present fine quilts and spread the love and understanding of art quilts."

"If you are interested, please contact me personally at kareyb@quilts.com.  I do hope to hear from you!  You'd be doing such a good deed!"

No comments:

Post a Comment