Wednesday, February 6, 2013

FEBRUARY'S FEATURED ARTIST ~ BETTY BUSBY


FEATURED ARTIST
BETTY BUSBY

Our current Featured Artist is Betty Busby. Betty is very active in SAQA-NM. All the fabulous shows we have been having lately have been put together by Betty. She has found venues, inspired us and relentlessly encouraged the membership to participate in these shows. 


What is your art background? 
I have been an artist all my life.  I graduated from the Rhode Island School of Design with a degree in ceramics.  I founded a custom ceramic tile manufacturing business in Los Angeles and ran if for almost 20 years. I sold it in 1994 to move to New Mexico and focus on fiber art- and am happy to say that it's still in business today.


What inspires you?  
Possibly coming from my ceramics background, I love to experiment with new materials and techniques.


What is your most significant art-related achievement?
Survival!  I have made my living from my art since 1974.


What do you love most about your medium?  
Versatility.  With the new definitions of fiber art, the possibilities are endless.

What’s on the horizon?  
Ha!  funny you should put it that way-  The SAQA Conference in 2013 is titled Expanding Horizons.  I will speak on the main panel, and will have a workshop after the conference at the Lodge at Santa Fe that will be run by Gale Oppenheim and Ann Anastasio that also will include Mary Pal and Holly Altman.  It should be fun for all!


You may visit Betty's website or her Blog. To find out more about the 2013 SAQA conference in Santa Fe this April visit Expanding Horizons. If you would like more information about taking a class from Betty, please visit Art Quilt Santa Fe.





CORAL SEA

FRACTURE

LALUZ

GROWTH

Betty in her studio working on MAGPIE

PRIMORDIUM

OPPOSITES ATTRACT

No comments:

Post a Comment